Google Stadia Stutter/Lag

Anathema

Administrator
Staff member
I pre-ordered Google Stadia Founders Edition and fired it up not long after receiving it. Unfortunately I ultimately decided 6 months later to sell it and move on as I did not manage to get it to work as intended on a single occasion. The problem I had was not with lag or input delay nor was it with the visual quality. My problem was that every game, in every situation in every connection setup stuttered constantly and perpetually about once a second. It was pretty off-putting and frankly unplayable. I did a fair amount of research and intervention trying to rectify the issue of visual and audio stutter - trying both gigabit Ethernet and 5GHZ WiFi, with and without my gigabit Powerline Adapters i.e. connected directly to the router, connected on 4G and tried multiple cables. I switched up the connection options in the Stadia app - but it never once worked for me. My connection is generally around 70 Mbit and I stream 4K and use GeForce NOW without any issues. The visual quality of Stadia in 4K was excellent but the stutter just killed it. I couldn't really find anyone experiencing the same specific issue and I didn't manage to resolve the problem. I can play via the Chrome browser without the stutter just fine, but the Chromecast Ultra just did not want to play ball.

Has anyone else come across this problem? Do you share a similarity in setup?

What are your experiences with Google Stadia and do you play with a Chromecast Ultra or through another device? When I do now want to play Stadia I do it on my NVIDIA Shield TV via the Chrome browser.

Last edited:

Anathema

Administrator
Staff member
Since it's now possible to install the Stadia app on Android TV I resubscribed and decided to try again on my NVIDIA Shield. The stuttering issue persists which I guess rules out the Chromecast Ultra being the issue. It's truly confusing as no other service I use is affected. I will continue to try to work out where the weak link is.

Gerben

Hi @Anathema,
I'm suffering from exact the same symptoms. When on my Pixel4XL everything is smooth as butter.
But on AndroidTV it just stutters.
I'm using a Stadia controller and a Sony TV with chromecast built-in on a 250mb/s connection with 13ms ping.
TV is also on gaming mode. So this connection cannot be problem.

Officially Stadia is not supported on Android TV yet. So I'm hoping that once it will be, the issues are sorted out.

I'm trying to figure things out. I'm curious if you did fin anything yet.

Anathema

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @Gerben. Welcome to Gamer Forums.

It does sound as if we have the same issue. I haven't really been able to find any examples of the same problem.

I have also recently been using the Stadia app natively on my Android TV box, Nvidia Shield TV instead of the modified Chrome browser I was using. Gaming mode also enabled on the TV. I was recently able to play a whole match of PubG, as I experienced what I would call a 'playable' level of stutter. I define it this way only in terms of playable meaning I was just determined to complete a match and managed to do so without too much angst. While the stutter was reduced, there were serious image quality issues at points during the game. I did rack up a few kills so the stutter couldn't have been that bad. I did this though by switching to 5GHz WiFi as a test. I had similar problems with image quality the last time I tried this. For the record as I sold my Stadia controller I am using my Xbox One X controller.

I also have a Pixel 4 XL and managed to play a couple of rounds of Power Rangers: Battle For The Grid with a relatively low level of stutter. It was too much to be a viable option doing forward. I pushed on again for the sake of the test. I don't have any issues with Xcloud on my Pixel 4 XL though.

My Shadow should be ready within the month, so it will be interesting to see how this performs on my setup considering I have no issues with Nvidia Geforce NOW - not that I play that at all now since the majority of the games I played there have been disabled.

I'm not optimistic that official Android TV support will fix our problem as I also had the same problem with my Chromecast Ultra and Stadia controller. I'm tempted to purchase a better WiFi router and Nest WiFi would be my logical choice. But I feel hesitant to invest in more Google tech trying to fix a problem that shouldn't exist to begin with in my Google tech.

Anathema

Administrator
Staff member
So I seem to have resolved the issue. While using Shadow I found that my ping was causing issues. A ping of 30 and below is required and as such I did some research around my ISP and router configuration with the aim of improving my ping. I found a feature called "Intrusion Detection" which was adding around 10-15 ms to my ping. It may not be a wise choice, but disabling this feature vastly improved my ping. It fixed Shadow and alas I found it also fixed Stadia. At 1080p I can now play stutter free even with multiple other users on my network and if I'm the only user I can comfortably play at 4K stutter free. Of course leaving this setting disabled permanently would likely be an unwise move and as such I disable it as and when required. As a longer term plan I intend to purchase a new router and perhaps change my ISP.

Gerben

Good to hear your were able to find a fix. I expect it won't work for me. My ping is already around 8-10ms.
Another workaround for me is to play on Chromebook or Chrome and connect the laptop with HDMI to my television.
I'm also considering to buy a Chromecast Ultra.

I read Stadia will be supported on GoogleTV (their new dongle) in 2021. By then I hope that AndroidTV will also support Stadia.